EMC testing and EMC services
We perform full compliant EMI and EMC testing according to most European Harmonized Standards.
ce-test, qualified testing bv, are committed to providing the highest quality service and technical assistance in attaining compliance with proprietary, national, European or International standards and regulations.
Since in 1989 the European union launched the EMC directive (that became mandatory in 1996), EMC testing has evolved from simple radiated emission testing into a complete set of test suites covering all phenomena an electrical device may generate or be susceptible to. Since 1996 CENELEC has published European standards that consequently have been designated by the European Commission for inclusion in the list of Harmonized Standards, governing the requirements to be met for electronics in residential and industrial environments. Since different types of equipment need to be more reliable than others product (group) specific standards have been written such as EN 55022 or all IT equipment.
The evolution of these standards is on going on a continuous basis. Some changes to the standards may be relatively minor while other standards are completely re-written and supersede old standards all together. New standards take priority form their date of publishing over the older, even if equipment has been earlier approved to the older. There is a need to update products to the latest standards.
We can help you in maintaining your product compliance at the required level.
ce-test, qualified testing bv has over 20 years experience in EMC testing to and beyond the standards. We have been known to solve touch problems in larger systems as well provide simple solutions for common problems. Our consultancy staff will make sure that you get what you need, at minimum costs.
Whether you need the minimum legal requirements according to the standards, or full "due diligence" compliance, you make the decision. Get access to the EC market fast at minimum costs, or get a "hardened" EMC compliant design that will prove itself within the upcoming years and in the field, you decide.
EMC Testing Methods/services
- EMC turn-key testing services for CE marking,
- EMC pretesting / quick-scan / pre-compliance scan,
- EMC testing according to CISPR, EN, IEC,or ISO and many other standards,
- ETSI radio testing for compliance with the R&TTE directive,
- ETSI radio EMC testing for radio auxiliary equipment,
- Full compliant Radiated Immunity testing in our Lindgren Shielded Fully Anechoic Room,
- Full compliant Emission testing in our Fully Anechoic Room (FAR),
- EMC testing according to Surge requirements (induced lightning pulses) up to 6.6 kV,
- EMC testing for Electrostatic Air Discharge (human body model) or other up to 30 kV,
- EFT (Electrical Fast Transients) test (switching induced transients) up to 4.4 kV,
- Spurious Emissions (harmonic power level ) testing for Radio equipment,
- Immunity to Radiated RF planar fields up to 200 V/m, up to 4.2 GHz,
- Immunity to Conducted RF currents on cabling to 20 Vrms,
- Mains voltage variations, interruptions and dips at 50 and at 60 Hz,
- Measurement of harmonic current in the mains lead
- Mains voltage variations due to load variations: Flicker testing,
- ESD contact discharge testing to EUT, HCP or VCP.
- Automotive emission testing for ESAs to ISO 7636-2,
- Automotive immunity tests according to ISO 7636-2 for 12V and 24V board nets.
- Radiated emission test for Automotive devices (CISPR 25)\
- Radiated Immunity test on cable harness to CISPR 25
EMC testing to Harmonized Product standards
Let us help you in selecting the appropriate product standard for your equipment, as member of NEC/EMC we are way ahead of other labs and we can tell you years in advance if a new standard is coming you way and if you will have to meet new technical requirements.
- EN 55022 - ITE equipment, emission standard,
- EN 55024 - ITE equipment, immunity standard,
- EN 61326-1 - Laboratory and Industrial control,
- EN 55011 - ISM equipment,
- EN 50130-4 - Social alarm and Burglary prevention equipment,
- EN 61000-6-1 - Generic Standards Immunity - Residential,
- EN 61000-6-2 - Generic Standards Immunity - Industrial,
- EN 61000-6-3 - Generic Standards Emission - Residential,
- EN 61000-6-4 - Generic Standards Immunity - Industrial,
- EN 50121 - Railway Applications,
- EN ETSI 301 489 - EMC of radio auxiliary equipment,
- EN 55025 - Automotive equipment,
- EN 50498 - ESAs for automotive applications,
- EN 60601-1-2 - EMC for medical equipment,
- EN 61000-3-2 - Harmonic currents induced into the mains lead,
- EN 61000-3-3 - Voltage variation induced into the mains lead.
EMC and Basic Standards
Basic standards are the basis of EMC testing. They describe the technical test set up, equipment to be used and calibration requirements for the essential test and suggest limit values to be selected by product committees for inclusion in product standards. A well known series of immunity (susceptibility) basic standards is the EN 61000-4-xx range ,enumerated below. Each part (up to 34 right now) describes an essential test phenomena and the associated test method. These standards are not suitable for compliance declarations, and are mainly used by test houses to describe a typical test setup.
- EN 61000-4-2 - Electrostatic Discharge immunity test,
- EN 61000-4-3 - Radiated, Radio-Frequency, electromagnetic field immunity test,
- EN 61000-4-4 - Electrical fast transient/burst immunity test,
- EN 61000-4-5 - Surge immunity test,
- EN 61000-4-6 - Immunity to conducted disturbances, induced by radio-frequency fields,
- EN 61000-4-8 - Power frequency magnetic field immunity test,
- EN 61000-4-11 - Voltage dips, short interruptions and voltage variations immunity tests,.
- EN 61000-4-14 - Voltage fluctuation immunity test.
- EN 55016 / CISPR16 series
- EN 55022 / CISPR 22 for emission of ITE, is both a[product and basic standard for historical reasons.
- Assessment of your circuit diagrams for EMC compliance
- Assessment of your PCB lay-out for EMC compatibility
- Assessment of your prototypes using quick scan methods
- Assessment of electronic sub assemblies for fitting in (GSM/WiFi/Bluetooth/SMPS)
with a focus on reducing test time, test failures and test costs and so improve your time-to-market.
We own a fully equipped test lab with compliant EMC equipment for all tests. Our EMC test equipment is available permanently, as well as a fully equipped work bench for our clients, including all kind of (SMD) components, filters, gaskets and regular small electronic components.
Unlike many consultant that have to use the services of an external test laboratory, all our equipment are available full time. This saves you money and time. If you want us to we can make minor modifications on your design to improve compatibility, that you can implement later.
Proprietary EMC requirements
- E marking to UN regulations
We may provide immunity solutions for 3 and 10, 30 V/m and more for house hold and industrial applications and can test your equipment up to 200 V/m in specific frequency ranges that are known to cause problems. The introduction of terrestrial TV broadcasting brought us interference field strengths of 1 V/m allover the residential areas and much higher field strengths close to antenna base stations. New portable transmitters are expected in Europe in the former UHF band, now allocated to mobile radio.
ce-test approval work flow diagram (example) to ISO 17025
EMI = Electromagnetic Interference
EMC = Electromagnetic Compatibility
How do we work:
- Upon reception of your order we will investigate your equipment to detect early failures. If required we will send you a modification proposal FREE of CHARGE. This report will also notify you of possible future modifications in the applicable standards for your product.
- As a member of the Dutch NEC/IEC EMC voting committee we receive standard proposals far ahead of everyone else! We know what will change in 4-5 years, so we may make your equipment future proof !
We will advise you if necessary.
- (1) and (2) mean that our test procedure may start with some (small) modifications of your equipment to be carried out. This saves you both time (failing tests) and therefore extra testing fees. We will not wait to tell you until all tests are done, and then recharge you for full re-testing.
- Consequently testing starts and at any stage when a problem arises we will send you a briefing and add proposals for modification. If you want us to, we can (temporarily) modify your equipment is such a way that these modifications can be implemented easily later in your final product. Sometimes however, if modifications are extensive, a new product needs to be shipped to us.
- Upon finalization of the tests, we will create an extensive test report compliant to ISO 17025 for you, containing test results, and the documentation you provided us. Documentation is of major importance to positively identify your product. Without complete and accurate documentation a test report has no value ! This is especially true for low voltage testing.
- When testing radio equipment, your applied radio frequencies will be verified with a notified body for compliance with the different European national frequency plans, and documented accordingly. If required we provide you with a notification service.
All rights reserved ce-test, qualified testing bv (c) 2012-2016